Friday, November 21, 2014

week 8 music

   Music, being its naturally free flowing form of artistic expression, has long been a format of emotion, rebellion, devotion, discussion, and so much more. Historically the process of making music has been a painstaking one, where artists can poor their efforts and passions out and openly for the world to relate and take notice. Music that moves us comes from the soul, it comes from a place beyond calculable data and technical perfection. As it is such a human experience, it in itself feels the need to push social structure and boundaries to achieve something beyond its current state. Artists for years have used obscenities to bring emphasis to their point, "socially inappropriate" or harsh/vulgar imagery to show the subjects what they need them to see. However years of generational difference and apposing mind sets have created conflict over music and lead to extreme censorships.
   In my own personal life music has been a major influence. My mother brought me up listening to the most classic of classics; Simon and Garfunkel, the Mamas and the Papas, Billy Joel, and of course Sir Elton John. I loved the oldies as a kid, and do today, because today I can recognize not only how vocally and instrumentally talented these songs are, but they are so well written and crafted. Now as I have grown up my tastes have modernized ( However I wouldn't say mainstreamed by any means)into more current and in my opinion edgier. Granted that being said, its considered "edgy" for a reason. Groups and artists who are able to play original music motivated by passion and emotion, though it may not be broadcast be the Clearchannels of the world, has substantially more worth than some bubble gum pop production that sounds like it was just spit out of a hit single generator.
    I can never officially decide on a favorite band because I am always finding new groups and at artists. However some of my top bands at the moment would be The Black Keyes, Arctic Monkeys, Cage the Elephant, Portugal. The Man, Flume, Alt-J, and many more that I'm sure I am forgetting. Overall I would say its very Alt rock meets indie, if I had to try and define it. I wont lie, there have been certain times when I have been in the car with my parents and I have changed a song or turned it down because I knew either the language, content, or even the style of rhythm/ instruments would offend them somehow. I personally have no shame in the music I listen to, but I cant say that the boldness of it wouldn't bother and older generation or even someone of my age with more conservative tastes. Personally I cant stand mainstream Hip Hop and how it objectifies women, especially in such a vulgar manor. My friends know it, but I don't ask them to change it (Unless its just unbearable poppy nonsense ).


    To start off, I do not think a campus radio would be a good decision. If it had gotten off the ground 15-20 years ago it could probably be successful. However in this day and age there is no way a starting out campus station with the broad basis of LBCC could last. New stations ( Much like magazines) need to establish a niche audience to gain any kind of support, and you need the high population to support that ( Portland could work).
    IF the radio station were to happen I think we would have no choice but going strictly mainstream and covering "soft rock"(which is the vaguest genre that exists) genres from the 80's to current day. Because the Albany/ LBCC area doesn't really have a specific demographic to appeal to, we would have to be broad. There are some ways to make the station more unique to the area: local sporting event coverage, local band showcases, really anything that can be brought into public view that is happening close to home. The issue with that is that I would chose to draw funding from a major media conglomerate like clearchannel. Though I cringe at the thought, with how generic and mainstream this station already is, I don't really see a way around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment